News and Blog
At the office of Dr. John L. LeRoy, we work with patients whose cosmetic concerns run the gamut from aging to facial structure to physique, and our goal is to give every patient results that will help them embrace their most confident and beautiful self. For some, this means a traditional plastic surgery like a facelift or tummy tuck, but for others, it means a minimally invasive non-surgical procedure that creates subtle and natural-looking results. If you fit into the latter category, our September specials may help you save some cash on your cosmetic treatments.
Band Aid Skin Tightening
This procedure does exactly as its name suggests—it tightens facial skin that has begun to sag with age, while embodying the in-office, convenient, minimally-invasive philosophy behind our Band Aid plastic surgery. The Protégé system uses innovative Energy Flow Control (EFC) to send precise warmth into the deeper layers of the skin. This causes your body to produce more collagen (the protein that gives skin its youthful firmness and elasticity), so the results continue to improve over the course of several months, and can last for as long as two years.
Band Aid Laser Skin Resurfacing
For patients who want to go beyond tightening skin to also address age spots, acne scars, and other skin imperfections, Band Aid Laser Skin Resurfacing may be a more effective option. During this laser treatment, tiny beams of light are sent into the skin to activate the body’s natural healing process. As a result, renewed collagen is produced to smooth old scars, reduce hyperpigmentation (spots or patches of darkened skin), minimize wrinkles, and add a rejuvenating firmness.
Regardless of where your cosmetic concerns lie, the first step toward a younger-looking appearance (or any aesthetic improvement, for that matter) is finding the procedure that will provide the best balance between your desired results and your needs regarding recovery time, anesthesia, etc. To start discussing how we can help you become your most confident and beautiful self, schedule a consultation with Dr. John LeRoy. Or, to stay up-to-date on our future special offers and the latest plastic surgery news, join us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
One of the most common aesthetic goals I hear from patients is to achieve a youthful look that makes them feel confident. Wanting to feel comfortable in your own skin can be a great reason for cosmetic surgery. As a double board certified plastic surgeon, part of my job is to help my patients develop an understanding of the road ahead. That’s why I emphasize to my facial rejuvenation patients that they should look at their efforts to feel happy with their appearance as an ongoing journey, rather than as a task that plastic surgery will permanently cross off their to-do list.
Some plastic surgeries produce results that are generally permanent, like rhinoplasty, otoplasty, or a tummy tuck (although the results of a tummy tuck can change with future weight fluctuations or pregnancies). But procedures like a Band Aid Facelift or a neck lift strive to turn back the clock on an ongoing process: aging. And while these cosmetic surgeries can take a decade or more off a patient’s appearance, there is no way to completely stop aging, so new wrinkles and lax skin will eventually appear.
Does this mean you won’t always be happy with your surgical results? No—but it depends on whether you continue your facial rejuvenation journey or whether you stop addressing your signs of aging after the procedure. My patients who are happiest with their results in the long run are those who choose plastic surgery to reach a point where they’re confident with their appearance, but who then address the new wrinkles and age spots that appear throughout the years with simpler, non-surgical skin treatments like Band Aid Skin Tightening, Band Aid Laser Skin Resurfacing, and cosmetic facial injections (such as facial fillers and Botox® or Dysport®). This is the philosophy behind my Band Aid plastic surgery procedures—seeing cosmetic procedures not as a one-time fix but as a process that gives you natural-looking results that you can maintain for years on end.
Regardless of where you currently are in the aging process or what facial rejuvenation measures you’ve used in the past, part of the beauty of having so many avenues to a younger look is that your journey can be customized to fit your specific needs. To start discussing your aesthetic goals, schedule a consultation with me. Or, for more tips and updates about plastic surgery, join us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
Every plastic surgery patient has their own aesthetic goals, but my most popular procedure has proven to be versatile enough to meet the needs of many different patients, and this procedure is the Band Aid Facelift. This minimally-invasive version of the traditional facelift can take years off a patient’s appearance, but it can be performed in-office with gentle numbing and requires a much shorter recovery period. While patients are typically thrilled with their Band Aid Facelift results, my goal is to help every patient (including my future patients) to have the best experience and results possible. To get the most out of your Band Aid Facelift, try these helpful tips:
- Be Proactive. The Band Aid Facelift can be an easier, quicker, and more cost-effective route to facial rejuvenation than a traditional facelift, but it works best for patients whose aging has not yet progressed far enough to warrant a comprehensive facelift. Therefore, it’s better to come in for a consultation sooner rather than later so that we can discuss your cosmetic concerns and create a plan that can help you to feel confident in your appearance for years to come. To get started now, schedule a consultation with me, Dr. John L. LeRoy.
- Allow for more recovery time than you expect to need. Depending on the details of your procedure and your medical needs, I can help you determine how long you should plan to be out of commission. It’s important to give your body as much time to heal as it needs, because pushing yourself too early and experiencing stress to get back to work and you daily routine can hinder your recovery.
- Consider combining the Band Aid Facelift with other procedures. For most patients, there are multiple features they would like to improve. In many cases, opting for multiple procedures in one surgery can be a safe way to get more comprehensive, satisfying results without needing to go through a full cycle of planning, surgery, and recovery for each procedure. The Band Aid Facelift, for instance, is often combined with Band Aid Eyelid Surgery (blepharoplasty) or Band Aid Liposuction beneath the chin.
- Stock up before the surgery. Anticipate what you’ll need during your recovery process and have everything purchased and ready to go. Fill any necessary prescriptions, stock up on simple-to-make foods, and load up your bedside table (or wherever you’re planning to spend your recovery) with anything you think you’ll need. It’s also important to thoroughly read and understand your post-surgical instructions beforehand and to be prepared to follow them carefully.
- Take steps to maintain your results. While a Band Aid Facelift may take years off your appearance, it does not stop the aging process, so new wrinkles and skin laxity can develop in the years following your surgery. To better maintain your rejuvenated results, consider non-surgical treatments like Band Aid Laser Skin Resurfacing or Band Aid Skin Tightening to address future signs of aging as they arise, and protect your skin from accelerated aging by wearing sunscreen daily.
While all of these tips can help, one of the most important ways to make your cosmetic surgery experience as successful as possible is to choose the right procedure. Explore my website to start learning about all of your plastic surgery options, or, to stay up-to-date on the latest news in plastic surgery, join me on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
At the office of Atlanta double board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. John LeRoy, we’re focused on helping each individual patient achieve the best possible results, and one way we achieve this goal is by offering a wide array of facial rejuvenation options. Our treatments run the gamut from entirely non-surgical procedures (like Botox® and facial filler injections) to minimally-invasive surgeries (like the Band Aid Facelift) to more comprehensive, traditional plastic surgery (like the facelift). So why do some patients find that non-surgical treatments are the better choice for their needs?
- They’re experiencing the earlier signs of aging. Every procedure we administer is tailored to the patient’s needs, but, as most would assume, the more extensive the procedure is, the more significant the results will generally be. For patients who want to nip aging in the bud and address fine lines and wrinkles as they arise, non-surgical treatments like Band Aid Skin Tightening can be a great solution.
- They’ve established a multi-step rejuvenation process. Just as weight loss patients can’t simply lose weight once and stop watching their diet, looking as young as you feel works best as a long-term plan, rather than a one-time deal. In other words, patients who opt for a Band Aid facelift or a traditional facelift are typically happier with their results if they use non-surgical procedures to minimize future signs of aging as they arise.
- They have concerns that plastic surgery doesn’t address. Facial cosmetic surgery can be a great way to lift lax skin and give the face an overall younger and more refreshed look. But there are signs of aging which are generally not addressed with plastic surgery, such as age spots and acne scars. Band Aid Laser Skin Resurfacing, on the other hand, can break up the pigment in age spots and the scar tissue in acne scars, giving the face an overall more radiant and smooth complexion.
Ultimately, every patient is unique and must decide on a treatment plan that addresses their aesthetic concerns while taking their priorities and medical needs into consideration. To start learning about your cosmetic options and discussing how to become your most beautiful and confident self, schedule a consultation with Dr. LeRoy or join us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
At the office of Atlanta double board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. John LeRoy, we place great value on being a part of the metro Atlanta community. In an effort to give back to our local supporters, every year we host several social media charity contests, in which we invite all of you to help us choose a Georgia charity to receive a $1,000 donation. Our latest charity contest has now come to a close, and we would like to offer our sincere congratulations to both of our runners-up, TJ and Friends Foundation and Our Lady of Perpetual Help Hospice, as well as the winner, Atlanta Humane Society.
Atlanta Humane Society (AHS) has been serving the metro Atlanta area for over 140 years as the city’s oldest private charity. While they began as an organization to protect the welfare of women and children as well as animals, they have since focused their efforts on the goal of ending pet homelessness overpopulation in our community. AHS takes a multi-faceted approach, including:
- Adoption – Pet shelters are perhaps the most well-known of AHS’ efforts. At their campuses on Howell Mill Road in Atlanta and on Mansell Road in Alpharetta, they take in animals who need a home and make them available for adoption with loving families in the area.
- Education and Support – One of the most vital tools for protecting animals is information. AHS’ programs offer support to pet owners (and other members of the community) for everything from pet safety courses to obedience training to instruction about reporting abuse or finding a lost pet. Animals who are currently housed with AHS may also be a part of pet-facilitated therapy programs. To further their efforts, AHS is currently developing new outreach programs which will allow their information to reach local classrooms and children throughout the metro Atlanta area.
- Veterinary Services – AHS’ veterinary clinic offers trusted healthcare for local animals. To further improve pet homelessness in our community, the organization also offers low-cost spaying and neutering procedures, as well as mobile spay and neuter services to reach other locations throughout the Atlanta area.
All of us at the office of John L. LeRoy, M.D. are honored to be able to donate to an organization that is such a long-standing and valuable part of our community. To get up-to-date information about upcoming charity contests as well as the latest cosmetic surgery news, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
At the office of plastic surgeon Dr. John LeRoy, we recognize the importance of our work—giving people the confidence that allows them to live their lives to the fullest. But we also want to give something to those in our community who need help in ways beyond restoring self-esteem. That’s why, every year, we hold several social media charity contests, when we ask all of you to help us identify a local charity that can put our $1,000 donation to good use. We’ve been taking in your nominations for the past few weeks, and now the finalists have been chosen and we invite you to vote for the charity you think should win.
Here’s how to cast your vote:
- Go to the John L. LeRoy, MD Facebook page and click “Like,” if you haven’t already.
- Find the post at the top of our timeline, inviting you to vote in the charity contest. Click the link in the post, which will take you to the poll to cast your vote.
- Be sure to vote before Monday, July 20th, 2015. The winning charity will be announced on Tuesday, July 21st, 2015.
The finalists include:
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help Hospice – A diagnosis of terminal cancer is extremely difficult for anyone, and Our Lady of Perpetual Help Hospice believes that these patients shouldn’t need to worry about being unable to afford the medical care they need. The facility provides the necessary round-the-clock nursing attention for patients who cannot afford adequate care elsewhere, allowing those in need to enjoy their days without the significant financial burden of hospice costs.
- The TJ and Friends Foundation – When TJ Johnson was battling cancer, three of his friends organized an escorted motorcycle ride to raise money to assist with the family’s medical costs. Today, in TJ’s memory, the friends continue their mission by hosting fundraising events to ease the financial burden for other cancer patients in Northeast Georgia. To date, they have helped over 1,000 local patients since the foundation’s founding in 2008.
- Atlanta Humane Society – As Atlanta’s oldest private charitable organization, the Atlanta Humane Society has been serving the community for over 140 years. Today, they’re a leader in the fight to end pet homelessness and overpopulation in metro Atlanta, and use a multi-faceted approach that combines educational programs and veterinary services with pet adoption centers where adoptable animals are never euthanized.
All of us at the office of Dr. John LeRoy are honored to be able to give back to our community and help those in need. We encourage each of you to join us in supporting our fellow Georgians’ charitable missions by voting on the charity whom you feel will put our donation to the best use. To learn more about us and the cosmetic surgery services we offer, explore our website or schedule a consultation appointment.
Many of my patients express, even at our first consultation, that they’re apprehensive about the idea of plastic surgery. Being nervous is natural, but unfortunately, some patients spend years being unhappy with signs of aging because they don’t realize that there are ways to take years off their appearance without surgery. This month, we’re using our July specials to call attention to the many options patients have for surgery-free facial rejuvenation.
Band Aid Skin Tightening
As we age, our skin loses an essential protein called collagen, and as a result, the skin loses firmness, elasticity, and volume. While patients who have more significant amounts of lax skin would benefit best from a facelift, those who would like a more subtle, natural-looking improvement have seen great success with Band Aid Skin Tightening. The non-surgical procedure sends precisely controlled heat energy into targeted layers of the skin. This heat increases the body’s natural production of collagen, causing the skin to gradually become firmer, smoother, and more youthful.
Band Aid Laser Skin Resurfacing
While Band Aid Skin Tightening can be highly effective for patients who primarily want to focus on lax skin and wrinkles, other patients have accompanying signs of aging that they want to address. For these patients, laser skin resurfacing can minimize the appearance of age spots and acne scars while also making the skin firmer. Unlike traditional laser treatments, Band Aid laser Skin Resurfacing uses tiny columns of laser light to efficiently cause the deeper layers of skin to produce more collagen while also allowing the treatment area to heal more quickly.
Microdermabrasion and Chemical Peels
For patients with fine lines and earlier signs of aging, lighter treatments like microdermabrasion and chemical peels can achieve highly satisfying results. Microdermabrasion uses very small, fine crystals to exfoliate away dead skin cells and damaged surface skin, revealing younger, more radiant skin. A chemical peel has a similar goal (removing damaged surface skin to give the skin a fresher appearance and a smoother complexion), but this procedure uses a medicinal formula to penetrate precise layers of skin. The aged and damaged skin will gradually peel away throughout the days following the treatment, and the results depend on whether a light, medium, or deep chemical peel is needed.
Cosmetic Facial Injectables
One of the quickest and simplest ways to address signs of aging is with cosmetic facial injections. Some treatments, like Botox® and Dysport®, relax tense facial muscles that can cause creases and wrinkles, like those of the forehead and on the sides of the eyes (“crow’s feet”). Facial fillers like Restylane® and Juvéderm®, on the other hand, replace volume that the facial skin has lost with age. This added volume smooths fine lines and wrinkles and gives the face a youthful plumpness. Because these treatments generally require no downtime and can be administered in a brief appointment (often just 10-15 minutes), patients with busy schedule find them to be especially beneficial.
One of the keys to attaining great cosmetic results from your facial rejuvenation treatments is choosing the procedure that offers the ideal balance of addressing your aesthetic concerns while meeting your medical needs. But while it can seem overwhelming to decide between a facelift, Band Aid Facelift, or any of the various non-surgical options, you don’t need to make the decision alone. Schedule a consultation to learn about your choices and discuss your cosmetic goals. Or, to learn more about the services we offer, explore our website and join us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
All of us at the office of Dr. John L. LeRoy take great joy in helping our patients to be more confident in and empowered by their appearance. But to pay forward our good fortune of being able to do what we love every day, we also want to extend a helping hand to members of our community whose needs can’t be met with cosmetic surgery. Several times each year, we hold a social media contest and ask our supporters to help us choose a deserving local charity to receive our $1,000 donation. And it’s that time of year again.
Here’s how it works:
- Nominate the charity of your choice before Friday, June 26th
- Visit our Facebook page and “Like” the page, if you haven’t already.
- Find the post at the top of our timeline, inviting you to nominate your favorite local charity.
- Comment on the post with the name of the charity and 50 words or less telling us why they’ve earned your nomination.
- Nominations must meet the following criteria
- The charity must hold a 501 (c)(3) non-profit distinction.
- The charity must be in Georgia.
- The nominator must be at least 18 years of age.
- Each nominator may only nominate one charity.
- The charity must contribute to a greater good, identifiable through a published mission statement.
- The charity may not be a previous charity contest winner.
- Vote between Monday, Jun 29th and Monday, July 20th
- Visit our Facebook page, and find the new post at the top of our timeline inviting you to vote for one of the four finalists which have been selected from the nominees.
- Click the link in the Facebook post, which will take you to a survey where you can vote for the charity that you think will put the donation to good use.
- The winning charity will be announced on Tuesday, July 21st, and will receive a donation of $1,000.
In the past, our social media charity contests have given us the opportunity to contribute to a variety of very deserving causes. Our winner this March was Atlanta S.E.E.D.s, an organization that combines dance instruction with mentorship, financial literacy, and more to help young girls in our community to become confident young women with a jumpstart on a successful adulthood. Last October, we were honored to donate to Alzheimer’s Association, an organization that is dedicated to fighting Alzheimer’s disease through a combination of curative research, services to support Alzheimer’s patients and their families, and a growing awareness of brain health and preventative measures. Earlier last year, our contest winner was CURE Childhood Cancer, an Atlanta-based organization with the mission of improving the safety and efficacy of childhood cancer treatments and bringing the survival rate for pediatric cancers to 100%.
Regardless of whether this summer’s donation will go toward fighting a devastating disease, improving the lives of the children in our community, or any number of other worthy causes, we look forward to partnering with you to help a deserving local charity to make a difference in our community. To learn more about our previous winners or about our plastic surgery practice, explore our website or join us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
For many patients, the decision to have plastic surgery feels like a see-saw in their mind—they go back and forth between getting excited about feeling better about their appearance and worrying about the risks and recovery time associated with surgery. After more than twenty years as a double board-certified plastic surgeon working with patients who were weighing their decision, I found a way to improve the balance between results and recovery. As seen in this month’s issue of Atlanta Magazine, my Band Aid plastic surgery procedures are minimally invasive versions of traditional plastic surgeries, like the Band Aid Facelift and Band Aid Liposuction, and are performed in-office with gentle numbing. As a result, patients find that the significantly lighter recovery balances well with the natural results they achieve.
A common misconception, however, is that Band Aid plastic surgery isn’t an option for patients who have multiple concerns. In actuality, these procedures can easily be used to complement each other and to improve several “problem areas.”
For some patients, multiple Band Aid procedures can be performed in the same visit. This essentially gives patients the best of both worlds—they get the more comprehensive improvement that addresses several areas of concern at once, without needing the lengthy recovery associated with a more invasive, traditional surgery. For example, a Band Aid Facelift is effective for wrinkles and sagging skin, but many of these patients also have “bags under the eyes.” Combining a Band Aid Facelift with Band Aid Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) can address both skin laxity and the under-eye puffiness for a more comprehensive facial rejuvenation while staying true to the “Band Aid” quality of the procedure by remaining an outpatient surgery with only local anesthetic.
Creating a Multi-Step Plan
Even when Band Aid procedures aren’t performed within the same surgery, they can be used as part of an overall plan for more comprehensive rejuvenation. For example, Band Aid Facelift patients are seeking to minimize their signs of aging, so beyond the wrinkles and excess skin that a Band Aid Facelift can improve, many of these patients also have age spots that they would like to diminish. After receiving the Band Aid Facelift, Band Aid Laser Skin Resurfacing can minimize age spots and other imperfections while also building collagen to address any new signs of aging to better maintain the results of the original procedure.
As a plastic surgeon, one of the reasons I’m so passionate about what I do is because every day I’m able to help patients become their most confident and beautiful selves by producing results that are unique to them. Every patient has different needs and aesthetic goals, so to begin discussing how cosmetic procedures can help you feel great about your appearance, schedule a consultation with me, Dr. John LeRoy. Or, to start by learning more about the procedures we offer, join me on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
Take a moment to look at the photos of you, your family, and your friends on your computer, your social media profiles, or wherever you compile your pictures. How many of them were taken during the summer? Even though the season only lasts for 25% of the year, it’s likely that your summertime photos represent far more than 25% of your collection. This isn’t surprising when we consider that most of the events when we snap pictures the most (vacations, weddings, etc.) take place during this season. Unfortunately, for those who aren’t happy with their appearance, “photo season” brings an especially heavy feeling of self-consciousness. So, for those who want to look their best in this summer’s photos but aren’t ready to invest the time and finances into plastic surgery, we’re offering special pricing throughout June on some of our most popular and effective non-surgical procedures.
Band Aid Skin Tightening does exactly as its name suggests—tightens lax, sagging skin on the face and neck. To eliminate the need for anesthesia and an incision, we use the advanced Protégé system to send precisely controlled heat into the deeper layers of the skin. Optimal results are achieved after a series of five treatments, although many patients begin to see firmer, more youthful skin after their first session. Because patients typically don’t require any downtime, Band Aid Skin Tightening is perfect for patients who have a busy schedule to accommodate.
Another non-surgical way to address signs of facial aging is with Band Aid Laser Skin Resurfacing. During this procedure, Dr. LeRoy uses a laser to perforate the surface skin with tiny beams of light. This process causes the body to increase its production of collagen, the protein that gives young skin its elasticity and firmness. Laser resurfacing can address several signs of aging at once, including age spots, wrinkles, and even acne scars.
For patients who are looking for an especially quick treatment that yields less permanent results than skin tightening or laser skin resurfacing, wrinkle-reducing injections can be a great option. Botox® and Dysport® relax the underlying muscles in the forehead and eyebrow area to smooth the wrinkles and creases they’re causing, while dermal fillers like Restylane® and Juvéderm® minimize wrinkles by replacing the facial volume that has been lost with age. With Galderma’s new rewards program, you can earn bonus rewards and savings on products like Dysport® and Restylane®.
Looking younger doesn’t have to be a difficult task or a drawn-out process. With recent medical advancements, patients have more ways than ever to be their most beautiful and confident selves, even if they aren’t ready for a cosmetic surgery. Contact us to schedule a consultation to discuss your aesthetic goals, or to learn more about the procedures and services we offer, visit us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
Next Page »