News and Blog
At the office of Atlanta double board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. John LeRoy, we’re focused on helping each individual patient achieve the best possible results, and one way we achieve this goal is by offering a wide array of facial rejuvenation options. Our treatments run the gamut from entirely non-surgical procedures (like Botox® and facial filler injections) to minimally-invasive surgeries (like the Band Aid Facelift) to more comprehensive, traditional plastic surgery (like the facelift). So why do some patients find that non-surgical treatments are the better choice for their needs?
- They’re experiencing the earlier signs of aging. Every procedure we administer is tailored to the patient’s needs, but, as most would assume, the more extensive the procedure is, the more significant the results will generally be. For patients who want to nip aging in the bud and address fine lines and wrinkles as they arise, non-surgical treatments like Band Aid Skin Tightening can be a great solution.
- They’ve established a multi-step rejuvenation process. Just as weight loss patients can’t simply lose weight once and stop watching their diet, looking as young as you feel works best as a long-term plan, rather than a one-time deal. In other words, patients who opt for a Band Aid facelift or a traditional facelift are typically happier with their results if they use non-surgical procedures to minimize future signs of aging as they arise.
- They have concerns that plastic surgery doesn’t address. Facial cosmetic surgery can be a great way to lift lax skin and give the face an overall younger and more refreshed look. But there are signs of aging which are generally not addressed with plastic surgery, such as age spots and acne scars. Band Aid Laser Skin Resurfacing, on the other hand, can break up the pigment in age spots and the scar tissue in acne scars, giving the face an overall more radiant and smooth complexion.
Ultimately, every patient is unique and must decide on a treatment plan that addresses their aesthetic concerns while taking their priorities and medical needs into consideration. To start learning about your cosmetic options and discussing how to become your most beautiful and confident self, schedule a consultation with Dr. LeRoy or join us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
At the office of Atlanta double board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. John LeRoy, we place great value on being a part of the metro Atlanta community. In an effort to give back to our local supporters, every year we host several social media charity contests, in which we invite all of you to help us choose a Georgia charity to receive a $1,000 donation. Our latest charity contest has now come to a close, and we would like to offer our sincere congratulations to both of our runners-up, TJ and Friends Foundation and Our Lady of Perpetual Help Hospice, as well as the winner, Atlanta Humane Society.
Atlanta Humane Society (AHS) has been serving the metro Atlanta area for over 140 years as the city’s oldest private charity. While they began as an organization to protect the welfare of women and children as well as animals, they have since focused their efforts on the goal of ending pet homelessness overpopulation in our community. AHS takes a multi-faceted approach, including:
- Adoption – Pet shelters are perhaps the most well-known of AHS’ efforts. At their campuses on Howell Mill Road in Atlanta and on Mansell Road in Alpharetta, they take in animals who need a home and make them available for adoption with loving families in the area.
- Education and Support – One of the most vital tools for protecting animals is information. AHS’ programs offer support to pet owners (and other members of the community) for everything from pet safety courses to obedience training to instruction about reporting abuse or finding a lost pet. Animals who are currently housed with AHS may also be a part of pet-facilitated therapy programs. To further their efforts, AHS is currently developing new outreach programs which will allow their information to reach local classrooms and children throughout the metro Atlanta area.
- Veterinary Services – AHS’ veterinary clinic offers trusted healthcare for local animals. To further improve pet homelessness in our community, the organization also offers low-cost spaying and neutering procedures, as well as mobile spay and neuter services to reach other locations throughout the Atlanta area.
All of us at the office of John L. LeRoy, M.D. are honored to be able to donate to an organization that is such a long-standing and valuable part of our community. To get up-to-date information about upcoming charity contests as well as the latest cosmetic surgery news, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
At the office of plastic surgeon Dr. John LeRoy, we recognize the importance of our work—giving people the confidence that allows them to live their lives to the fullest. But we also want to give something to those in our community who need help in ways beyond restoring self-esteem. That’s why, every year, we hold several social media charity contests, when we ask all of you to help us identify a local charity that can put our $1,000 donation to good use. We’ve been taking in your nominations for the past few weeks, and now the finalists have been chosen and we invite you to vote for the charity you think should win.
Here’s how to cast your vote:
- Go to the John L. LeRoy, MD Facebook page and click “Like,” if you haven’t already.
- Find the post at the top of our timeline, inviting you to vote in the charity contest. Click the link in the post, which will take you to the poll to cast your vote.
- Be sure to vote before Monday, July 20th, 2015. The winning charity will be announced on Tuesday, July 21st, 2015.
The finalists include:
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help Hospice – A diagnosis of terminal cancer is extremely difficult for anyone, and Our Lady of Perpetual Help Hospice believes that these patients shouldn’t need to worry about being unable to afford the medical care they need. The facility provides the necessary round-the-clock nursing attention for patients who cannot afford adequate care elsewhere, allowing those in need to enjoy their days without the significant financial burden of hospice costs.
- The TJ and Friends Foundation – When TJ Johnson was battling cancer, three of his friends organized an escorted motorcycle ride to raise money to assist with the family’s medical costs. Today, in TJ’s memory, the friends continue their mission by hosting fundraising events to ease the financial burden for other cancer patients in Northeast Georgia. To date, they have helped over 1,000 local patients since the foundation’s founding in 2008.
- Atlanta Humane Society – As Atlanta’s oldest private charitable organization, the Atlanta Humane Society has been serving the community for over 140 years. Today, they’re a leader in the fight to end pet homelessness and overpopulation in metro Atlanta, and use a multi-faceted approach that combines educational programs and veterinary services with pet adoption centers where adoptable animals are never euthanized.
All of us at the office of Dr. John LeRoy are honored to be able to give back to our community and help those in need. We encourage each of you to join us in supporting our fellow Georgians’ charitable missions by voting on the charity whom you feel will put our donation to the best use. To learn more about us and the cosmetic surgery services we offer, explore our website or schedule a consultation appointment.
Many of my patients express, even at our first consultation, that they’re apprehensive about the idea of plastic surgery. Being nervous is natural, but unfortunately, some patients spend years being unhappy with signs of aging because they don’t realize that there are ways to take years off their appearance without surgery. This month, we’re using our July specials to call attention to the many options patients have for surgery-free facial rejuvenation.
Band Aid Skin Tightening
As we age, our skin loses an essential protein called collagen, and as a result, the skin loses firmness, elasticity, and volume. While patients who have more significant amounts of lax skin would benefit best from a facelift, those who would like a more subtle, natural-looking improvement have seen great success with Band Aid Skin Tightening. The non-surgical procedure sends precisely controlled heat energy into targeted layers of the skin. This heat increases the body’s natural production of collagen, causing the skin to gradually become firmer, smoother, and more youthful.
Band Aid Laser Skin Resurfacing
While Band Aid Skin Tightening can be highly effective for patients who primarily want to focus on lax skin and wrinkles, other patients have accompanying signs of aging that they want to address. For these patients, laser skin resurfacing can minimize the appearance of age spots and acne scars while also making the skin firmer. Unlike traditional laser treatments, Band Aid laser Skin Resurfacing uses tiny columns of laser light to efficiently cause the deeper layers of skin to produce more collagen while also allowing the treatment area to heal more quickly.
Microdermabrasion and Chemical Peels
For patients with fine lines and earlier signs of aging, lighter treatments like microdermabrasion and chemical peels can achieve highly satisfying results. Microdermabrasion uses very small, fine crystals to exfoliate away dead skin cells and damaged surface skin, revealing younger, more radiant skin. A chemical peel has a similar goal (removing damaged surface skin to give the skin a fresher appearance and a smoother complexion), but this procedure uses a medicinal formula to penetrate precise layers of skin. The aged and damaged skin will gradually peel away throughout the days following the treatment, and the results depend on whether a light, medium, or deep chemical peel is needed.
Cosmetic Facial Injectables
One of the quickest and simplest ways to address signs of aging is with cosmetic facial injections. Some treatments, like Botox® and Dysport®, relax tense facial muscles that can cause creases and wrinkles, like those of the forehead and on the sides of the eyes (“crow’s feet”). Facial fillers like Restylane® and Juvéderm®, on the other hand, replace volume that the facial skin has lost with age. This added volume smooths fine lines and wrinkles and gives the face a youthful plumpness. Because these treatments generally require no downtime and can be administered in a brief appointment (often just 10-15 minutes), patients with busy schedule find them to be especially beneficial.
One of the keys to attaining great cosmetic results from your facial rejuvenation treatments is choosing the procedure that offers the ideal balance of addressing your aesthetic concerns while meeting your medical needs. But while it can seem overwhelming to decide between a facelift, Band Aid Facelift, or any of the various non-surgical options, you don’t need to make the decision alone. Schedule a consultation to learn about your choices and discuss your cosmetic goals. Or, to learn more about the services we offer, explore our website and join us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
All of us at the office of Dr. John L. LeRoy take great joy in helping our patients to be more confident in and empowered by their appearance. But to pay forward our good fortune of being able to do what we love every day, we also want to extend a helping hand to members of our community whose needs can’t be met with cosmetic surgery. Several times each year, we hold a social media contest and ask our supporters to help us choose a deserving local charity to receive our $1,000 donation. And it’s that time of year again.
Here’s how it works:
- Nominate the charity of your choice before Friday, June 26th
- Visit our Facebook page and “Like” the page, if you haven’t already.
- Find the post at the top of our timeline, inviting you to nominate your favorite local charity.
- Comment on the post with the name of the charity and 50 words or less telling us why they’ve earned your nomination.
- Nominations must meet the following criteria
- The charity must hold a 501 (c)(3) non-profit distinction.
- The charity must be in Georgia.
- The nominator must be at least 18 years of age.
- Each nominator may only nominate one charity.
- The charity must contribute to a greater good, identifiable through a published mission statement.
- The charity may not be a previous charity contest winner.
- Vote between Monday, Jun 29th and Monday, July 20th
- Visit our Facebook page, and find the new post at the top of our timeline inviting you to vote for one of the four finalists which have been selected from the nominees.
- Click the link in the Facebook post, which will take you to a survey where you can vote for the charity that you think will put the donation to good use.
- The winning charity will be announced on Tuesday, July 21st, and will receive a donation of $1,000.
In the past, our social media charity contests have given us the opportunity to contribute to a variety of very deserving causes. Our winner this March was Atlanta S.E.E.D.s, an organization that combines dance instruction with mentorship, financial literacy, and more to help young girls in our community to become confident young women with a jumpstart on a successful adulthood. Last October, we were honored to donate to Alzheimer’s Association, an organization that is dedicated to fighting Alzheimer’s disease through a combination of curative research, services to support Alzheimer’s patients and their families, and a growing awareness of brain health and preventative measures. Earlier last year, our contest winner was CURE Childhood Cancer, an Atlanta-based organization with the mission of improving the safety and efficacy of childhood cancer treatments and bringing the survival rate for pediatric cancers to 100%.
Regardless of whether this summer’s donation will go toward fighting a devastating disease, improving the lives of the children in our community, or any number of other worthy causes, we look forward to partnering with you to help a deserving local charity to make a difference in our community. To learn more about our previous winners or about our plastic surgery practice, explore our website or join us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
For many patients, the decision to have plastic surgery feels like a see-saw in their mind—they go back and forth between getting excited about feeling better about their appearance and worrying about the risks and recovery time associated with surgery. After more than twenty years as a double board-certified plastic surgeon working with patients who were weighing their decision, I found a way to improve the balance between results and recovery. As seen in this month’s issue of Atlanta Magazine, my Band Aid plastic surgery procedures are minimally invasive versions of traditional plastic surgeries, like the Band Aid Facelift and Band Aid Liposuction, and are performed in-office with gentle numbing. As a result, patients find that the significantly lighter recovery balances well with the natural results they achieve.
A common misconception, however, is that Band Aid plastic surgery isn’t an option for patients who have multiple concerns. In actuality, these procedures can easily be used to complement each other and to improve several “problem areas.”
For some patients, multiple Band Aid procedures can be performed in the same visit. This essentially gives patients the best of both worlds—they get the more comprehensive improvement that addresses several areas of concern at once, without needing the lengthy recovery associated with a more invasive, traditional surgery. For example, a Band Aid Facelift is effective for wrinkles and sagging skin, but many of these patients also have “bags under the eyes.” Combining a Band Aid Facelift with Band Aid Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) can address both skin laxity and the under-eye puffiness for a more comprehensive facial rejuvenation while staying true to the “Band Aid” quality of the procedure by remaining an outpatient surgery with only local anesthetic.
Creating a Multi-Step Plan
Even when Band Aid procedures aren’t performed within the same surgery, they can be used as part of an overall plan for more comprehensive rejuvenation. For example, Band Aid Facelift patients are seeking to minimize their signs of aging, so beyond the wrinkles and excess skin that a Band Aid Facelift can improve, many of these patients also have age spots that they would like to diminish. After receiving the Band Aid Facelift, Band Aid Laser Skin Resurfacing can minimize age spots and other imperfections while also building collagen to address any new signs of aging to better maintain the results of the original procedure.
As a plastic surgeon, one of the reasons I’m so passionate about what I do is because every day I’m able to help patients become their most confident and beautiful selves by producing results that are unique to them. Every patient has different needs and aesthetic goals, so to begin discussing how cosmetic procedures can help you feel great about your appearance, schedule a consultation with me, Dr. John LeRoy. Or, to start by learning more about the procedures we offer, join me on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
Take a moment to look at the photos of you, your family, and your friends on your computer, your social media profiles, or wherever you compile your pictures. How many of them were taken during the summer? Even though the season only lasts for 25% of the year, it’s likely that your summertime photos represent far more than 25% of your collection. This isn’t surprising when we consider that most of the events when we snap pictures the most (vacations, weddings, etc.) take place during this season. Unfortunately, for those who aren’t happy with their appearance, “photo season” brings an especially heavy feeling of self-consciousness. So, for those who want to look their best in this summer’s photos but aren’t ready to invest the time and finances into plastic surgery, we’re offering special pricing throughout June on some of our most popular and effective non-surgical procedures.
Band Aid Skin Tightening does exactly as its name suggests—tightens lax, sagging skin on the face and neck. To eliminate the need for anesthesia and an incision, we use the advanced Protégé system to send precisely controlled heat into the deeper layers of the skin. Optimal results are achieved after a series of five treatments, although many patients begin to see firmer, more youthful skin after their first session. Because patients typically don’t require any downtime, Band Aid Skin Tightening is perfect for patients who have a busy schedule to accommodate.
Another non-surgical way to address signs of facial aging is with Band Aid Laser Skin Resurfacing. During this procedure, Dr. LeRoy uses a laser to perforate the surface skin with tiny beams of light. This process causes the body to increase its production of collagen, the protein that gives young skin its elasticity and firmness. Laser resurfacing can address several signs of aging at once, including age spots, wrinkles, and even acne scars.
For patients who are looking for an especially quick treatment that yields less permanent results than skin tightening or laser skin resurfacing, wrinkle-reducing injections can be a great option. Botox® and Dysport® relax the underlying muscles in the forehead and eyebrow area to smooth the wrinkles and creases they’re causing, while dermal fillers like Restylane® and Juvéderm® minimize wrinkles by replacing the facial volume that has been lost with age. With Galderma’s new rewards program, you can earn bonus rewards and savings on products like Dysport® and Restylane®.
Looking younger doesn’t have to be a difficult task or a drawn-out process. With recent medical advancements, patients have more ways than ever to be their most beautiful and confident selves, even if they aren’t ready for a cosmetic surgery. Contact us to schedule a consultation to discuss your aesthetic goals, or to learn more about the procedures and services we offer, visit us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
We all want to have the appearance of being young, relaxed, and well-rested—even when in fact we’re exhausted and up to our neck in stress. Unfortunately, time tends to work against us, as aging causes our skin to sag and can make us look increasingly tired or unhappy, regardless of how we actually feel. Facial plastic surgery can be a great way to regain a more rested appearance. As featured in the most recent issue of Atlanta Magazine, Dr. John LeRoy’s signature Band Aid procedures offer several minimally-invasive routes to a rejuvenated, well-rested look.
Band Aid Eyelid Surgery
We take subtle cues about how a person is feeling from their eyes, and when someone’s eyes look less open or seem puffy, we assume that they’re tired. Unfortunately, aging can cause some of the same tell-tale signs of drowsiness or disinterest. Band Aid Eyelid Surgery, or Band Aid Blepharoplasty, can be performed on the upper eyelids to reduce sagging skin that can create a “hooded,” more closed appearance, or it can be performed on the lower eyelids to minimize bags under the eyes.
Band Aid Brow Lift
For some patients, sagging skin on or near the forehead causes the eyebrow to look lower and creates a furrowed look that can sometimes be perceived as irritability, sleepiness, or worry. The Band Aid Brow Lift can minimize these effects of aging by giving the brow line a subtle yet brightening lift. As with all of our Band Aid procedures, the Band Aid Brow Lift uses minimally-invasive techniques and can be performed in-office with gentle numbing.
Band Aid Laser Skin Resurfacing
Another subtle cue that makes a person look tired is the appearance of dark circles under the eyes. Band Aid Laser Skin Resurfacing is a non-surgical way to improve the overall appearance of the skin by minimizing wrinkles, scars, age spots, and sometimes even the dreaded under-eye circles. The procedure uses a laser to help the body produce more collagen—the protein that gives our skin its youthful firmness and elasticity—while minimizing the needed recovery time.
As with any cosmetic procedure, Band Aid plastic surgery isn’t a one-size-fits-all. Every procedure is unique based on the patient’s needs and desired results. To start discussing your aesthetic goals and how traditional or minimally-invasive cosmetic procedures can help you embrace your most confident and beautiful self, schedule a consultation with Dr. LeRoy. Or, to learn more about each of the procedures we offer, visit us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
One look at the statistics and content of social media shows us how important images and sharing are to our society—how many of the recent posts on your Facebook feed are either “selfies” or photos of your friends and family at events or outings? We’re constantly snapping photos to share our lives with those we love, and a common side-effect of this is that we’ve become more aware of our appearance. When signs of aging begin to creep in, we notice them quickly and start looking for solutions. The eyes are often one of the first areas of our face to show aging, so we’re delving into the information you need to know about one of the most common concerns of facial aging: bags under the eyes.
What causes bags under the eyes?
One of the primary causes of under-eye bags is—you guessed it—the natural aging process. As occurs with many areas of the body, the skin, muscle, and other tissue around the eye weakens. Fat deposits that were once held back by this tissue now move forward, creating a visible puffiness beneath the skin.
While these under-eye bags make us look tired and older, they’re not just caused by age. Fluid accumulations can also create the same look, so for younger patients, puffiness under the eyes can be the result of excess salt consumption, dehydration, or even changes in the weather.
Whether the culprit is fluid accumulation or natural aging, heredity is often to blame as well, making some people more susceptible to this condition than others. Allergies can even have an impact on under-eye bags, as can a lack of high-quality sleep.
How can I treat bags under the eyes?
If the puffiness under your eyes is caused by fluid accumulations, lifestyle changes may be able to reduce your symptoms. Start drinking the recommended amount of water for your size and activity level. Keep track of your sodium intake and take steps to cut it down if necessary—your physician can help you determine what your daily sodium limit should be depending on your health considerations. Make sure you’re getting enough sleep, and try to sleep with your head slightly elevated to minimize fluid buildup.
For most patients, however, cosmetic intervention is needed to ease bulges beneath the eyes. The most effective way to address this concern is often through a surgical procedure called blepharoplasty. This outpatient procedure can be performed using an incision along the lower lash line to remove or redistribute fat deposits, tighten delicate muscles, and remove excess skin. Or, if only fat deposits need to be removed, the incision can be made inside the lower eyelid. This is called a transconjunctival incision, and it eliminates the risk of visible scars.
Lower blepharoplasty can also be combined with other procedures for optimal results, like laser skin resurfacing, which can minimize wrinkles and reduce the appearance of dark circles under the eyes. On the other hand, some patients prefer a non-surgical solution that produces less-permanent results than the results of blepharoplasty. For these patients, dermal fillers may be used to add volume to nearby areas of the face, disguising the appearance of under-eye puffiness.
Unlike age spots and some other signs of aging, bags under the eyes can be difficult or impossible to camouflage with makeup, so this symptom can have a harsh effect on a patient’s self-image. Fortunately we offer a number of surgical and non-surgical options to help you combat those under-eye bags and embrace your most confident and beautiful self. To learn more about your aesthetic options, explore our website, schedule a consultation, or join us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
Next Page »